How to change spark plug in Mahindra gusto scooter
Recommended Plugs : Standard: “UHR4CC” – Spark plug gap – 0.7mm
- Step 1 – Remove the spark plug cover (1) near floor board and luggage box.
- Disconnect the spark plug cap
- Clean any dirt from around the spark plug base. Remove the spark plug(2) using a spark plug tubular spanner with attachment of wheel nut spanner.
- Visually inspect the spark plug electrode (4) for wear. The side electrode should not be eroded. If the electrode and insulator tip appear unusually fouled or burned(Reason for this might be a lean or rich mixture of air and fuel, in this case carburetor need to be tuned, also change oil if needed), Discard the spark plug if there is apparent wear or if the insulator is cracked or chipped.
- Clean a carbon or fouled plug with a plug cleaner, otherwise use a wire brush.
- Make sure the spark plug gap (5) is 0.7mm by using a proper feeler gauge (3). If adjustment is necessary, bend the side electrode (4) carefully.
- With the plug washer attached, thread the spark plug in by hand to prevent cross-threading till it is fully seated.
- Tighten the spark plug 1/8 to 1/4 turn after the plug seat using a spark plug wrench to compress the washer. If it is a new spark plug, it should be tightened 1/2 turn.
- Connect the plug cap & reinstall the spark plug cover and luggage box.
Caution while changing spark plug in scooters
- The spark plug must be securely tightened. An improperly tightened plug can become very hot and possibly damage the engine.
- Never use a spark plug of an improper specification.
- while removing and fitment of spark plug ensure that spark plug threaded portion gets locked into the rugger bush. If not locked it may fall inside the engine shroud and will be difficult to take out.
- Ordinary plug spanner should not be used.
Written on January 9, 2020